Hosted by Rafiq
All Things Seniors
Did you know that a 50 plus year old startup founder is almost 3 times more likely to have a successful business compared to a 25-year-old startup founder? I would have thought that due to positive stats like that there would have been more and more support to grant fundings available to this older entrepreneur group but no, we don’t see that.
However, there are great people in our society who see the need for that kind of support for older entrepreneurs and they take action.
One such awesome person is with us here today, Wendy Mayhew. Wendy is an author, educator, and entrepreneur with over 40 years of experience. Her most recent businesses are “WISE – Seniors in Business” and “WISE 50 over 50 Awards.” WISE – Seniors in Business was formed to change how older entrepreneurs are perceived and to guide older entrepreneurs in deciding if entrepreneurship is for them.
Wendy has quickly became Canada’s leading expert on older entrepreneurship. She has an extensive research in understanding the challenges. She is a sought after speaker and workshop facilitator of many business organisations. Now, she’s starting to realise the importance of serving this newest group of entrepreneurs.
- Why she created the WISE 50 over 50 Awards
- Who decides who is going to receive the award
- The biggest challenge of older entrepreneurs
- What she sees people use as an alternate option
- On finding different avenues of financing
- How people approach entrepreneurship if their family is not supporting them
- What the role of the local Chamber of Commerce is
- Her thoughts on seeing some people venture into different things
- Her advice to people when preparing for a change
- On her book
- Her advice to people who are retired and wants to venture into entrepreneurship